Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hot and Sour

contemporary still lifepainting of chilli peppers and lemon done in acrylic by atul pande
A recent post from Carol Schiff, in which she confessed to being a still life painter all along encouraged me to experiment with my first still life. The inspiration for the contents came from my other creative endeavor -- cooking. Like my mother, I have never followed recipes which allows a lot of freedom to experiment with combinations of flavors and foods without regard to a "rule book" (kind of like art in a way).


I mostly do Indian, Italian and modern American style cooking, often blending various ethnic flavors with traditional dishes. Needless to say, hot and sour flavors abound in my kitchen. I avoided working on this painting while hungry so as to avoid salivating over it! It kept reminding me of a dish I make sometimes that consists of pasta with sun-dried tomatoes tossed with chilli oil and lemon juice dressing. It truly is to die for.


Anyway, here is my first still life attempt and I would love to hear your comments.


Hot and Sour, Acrylic on gesso board, 11'x14', $100 (unframed)

1 comment:

  1. I love this little still life. Do you make your chili oil? I really like easy tasty pastas.

    ReplyDelete