Monday, December 28, 2009

Abstract Cityscape


Every time I go to big cities like New York or Chicago, I am struck by the abstract composition possibilities offered by the towering buildings. Even without attempting to capture the beauty of the often complicated and elaborate facades, just the shapes alone lend themselves to artistic interpretation.


In Cityscape I have tried to capture the basic vertical shapes of the buildings separated by a barely discernible street. I separated the sunny and shaded sides of the street by using warm and cool colors respectively. The entire painting is done with various sized knives but I left the roughest texture for the sky which is made up of white and bits of almost every other color in the painting to create a sense of harmony.


Cityscape, Acrylic on stretched canvas, 16"x20", $100

2 comments:

  1. I like this - it does give a sense of "cityscape" - very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very drawn to this painting and also the organic abstract above. I have been working off and on in abstract form too, it is strangely rewarding to me, but I do have to be in the mood.

    The color in your New Years painting is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete