Monday, February 2, 2009

Summer Flowers


This post continues the Italian theme. Palatial villas and unassuming homes set along the shore of Lake Garda in northern Italy make for numerous scenes worth capturing on canvas. The ageless buildings are often harmoniously tucked together despite the apparent lack of planning or design behind them. It is almost as if the brilliant sun, the lush mountains and the evergreen foliage serve to smooth out any visually discordant note.

Summer Flowers was composed from several photographs taken during my last trip to Italy. This is my first painting on plywood and it took a bit of experimenting to get used to the grain, but I was not looking for a smooth look so the grain actually helped.

Summer Flowers, Acrylic on plywood, 8"x8", $50 (unframed)

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this piece. I do Digital Visual Art but I truly enjoy the traditionalist view you have. Well done!

    Kirk
    http://gatzkart.blogspot.com
    Digital Visual Art and Music

    ReplyDelete