Friday, January 30, 2009

Italian Splendor


A few months I had the opportunity to be in Italy on business and found myself in the town of Salo which is located in a long narrow bay under Monte San Bartolomeo on Lake Garda in the north. The picturesque town takes its name from Gasparo de Salo (1542-1609), the inventor of the violin. The town is a favorite vacation spot in the summer, though there is a permanent resident population also.

Salo Promenade was inspired by the beauty of colorful architecture set against the hills with the waterfront filled with pleasure boats of all description. I worked from some digital pictures I took when I was there, but this is the sort of place that makes me want to work en plein aire. Perhaps something to look forward to in the future.

Salo Promenade, Watercolor on 140lb paper, 6”x9”, $30 (unframed)

No comments:

Post a Comment